Friday, April 24, 2009

On horses and dogs

Inspired by a conversation with Andrew from The Regal Vizsla, I’ve been considering the relationship between horses and dogs, and would like to share a few random thoughts concerning the two.

Andrew works with both together, training and hunting with field trials dogs, learning the balance between the two, or rather the three species, when the human is involved. I suppose horses and dogs would not interact much together were it not for the humans.

For me, we are simply a package deal. I can not imagine my life without either one. I can not imagine working with my horses without my dog out there with me. And certainly, I can not imagine horse packing with out my dogs companionship both on the trail and at camp.

And yet, how different they are, we all are. The dog is like my child, sleeping in my house, by my side all day long, on the rug next me at the dinner table, sharing a place beside me life as a fellow hunter and meat eater by nature.

The horse remains outside, physically and emotionally. He knows he is a prey animal, not a predator. He prefers the company of horses to the company of man, though content and accepting of us as they may be. I believe many of us try to be a part of the herd. But we are not horses, and they are not fooled. They are wise enough to know the difference when we turn them out and head indoors for the night. They are sensible creatures, and can learn how to behave when we are with them, directing their herd, and when we are gone, allowing them to just be horses. They can learn our place “above” the herd. I can control the direction and movement and often even the temperament of the herd, but I am not part of the herd, and honestly, I need more than a “herd mentality” to safely care for my horses, and the riders.

Horse and dog do share a few common traits, I suppose based on their relationship with us humans. Both are far too forgiving. Their forgiveness could and should be a lesson for us in how to properly teach and communicate. However, even when we do the wrong thing, over and over, as I know I have done and may still do, they will forgive us of our faults. Perhaps if they didn’t, we’d learn faster. In addition, both horse and dog respond best to kindness; to fair, positive leadership; and to consistency. (Not too dissimilar to how we ideally treat our children). Not through fear and punishment. In such, we can create willing partners, not subservient slaves.

I’m no dog trainer, so I can’t share any wisdom there. All I know is I’ve always had a dog companion, and they have been the best of friends for me. I suppose all I do know how to do with dogs is share my life with them, and show them how best to fit in with me, my lifestyle, and with my horses.

And despite our difference, when we are together on the trail, we manage to work together in a seeingly natural unison. I believe it is more than just tolerance. I’m pretty sure it is more a matter of one taking strength from the other, with both dog and horse understanding the human is leading. When the human fails to properly lead, as in, when we can not control our dog or horse, the balance is tipped and all three are left questioning their role and their place in this line up.

Thus, leadership, of the fair, strong, quiet and calm sort, is essential in this picture, for all parties. And still, it can be challenging. Consider this: dogs and horses do not have a natural partnership. Were it not for the human, I don’t believe you’d see the two interacting very often. In nature, we observe the coyote passing through the horse herd. Upon occasion, the horse will be agitated by his presence or choose to chase him off. More often than not, the coyote is ignored.

We humans ask of our horses to accept the dog following, and ask of our dog to not chase the obvious prey that is the horse. They both will do so, if we show our own leadership. And yet, even then…

The first time I took Alan (my German Shepherd) on a pack trip, I had him in my life and on our ranch only for four months, and although he had become accustomed to the horses in the barn (I brought him with me to the barn and corrals several times a day for feeding, grooming, training, etc.), he was not yet accustomed to his place on the trail, and the horses were not yet accustomed to his presence. Several hours into the first days ride, my son’s old mare kicked back at him so hard he ran back towards the trailhead. Being responsible for guiding a group of teens in the Wilderness, I could not turn and follow him back. I had to trust that he’d get over it and return, which he of course did. This is pretty harsh example, but I think you get the point.

Today, Alan rides in front of me, as I usually lead the string, or directly behind the drag horse, where our son usually rides. So close to the heels, in fact, that as we ride the trail, the horse tail serves as a fly swatter for Alan. Yes, his place is literally under the tail of the horse for much of our trip. Our horses know. They are comfortable with his position, and if anything, I think maybe they just might be alright with having the meat eater behind them to keep an eye on their backside from any predator that is not part of our team.

Will my horses tolerate this of any dog? No! No more so than I would expect someone else’s horse to tolerate having Alan following so closely at their heels that their tail rests on his face.

I think we often forget how much of a personality both horse and dog have. Just because I know one man, does that mean I would trust them all? Perhaps I should, but no, I don’t. Horses and dogs are no different. They may know me, but they don’t know you. They may know my companions (dog or equine), but they don’t know yours.

My leadership in asking of my horses and dogs to behave a certain way will not always override their instinct, and I need to respect their natures. I need to be aware of how they both can be, and the needs of both. I can try. But I can’t guarantee they will get along. Shoot, I admit there are days I don’t get along with my dog or favorite horse, as well. Why should I expect them to be any different? Even the best of leadership respects the individual and his or her needs.

As such, we do not, on principle, allow guests to bring their dogs along on rides. It’s an accident waiting to happen, and if it does not, we consider ourselves lucky. We do make some exceptions. Bringing a family up the mountain for a drop camp, we fully understand how they would want their dog with them for the week. I’d want the same. So we do our best to slowly and safely introduce the new dog to our herd. We make sure the horses observe the dog with us around the corrals, and see that we are accepting him, and leading him. We try to show our horses that they are safe, he is a part of this group, we are accepting him, and we are asking our horses to do the same. Once we saddle up and hit the trail, we can only hope the dog respects the human leaders from up on that precarious post of the horse. And unfortunately, if the dog does not, chances are they’ll listen when the horse kicks. I’ve known very few dogs that have not been kicked or stepped on or chased by a horse. And this may not be a good thing to admit, but I think it may actually help the dog learn to respect their space and keep their distance. Unfortunately, I have also known of dogs killed by frightened horses, and horses killed by packs of dogs. I don’t mean to be grim here, but I do think we need to have utmost respect for both if we are to expect both to get along. We care too much about both our dogs and horses.

Remember, the dog is often clueless in his safe position in life of predator. The horse is scared. As such, the horse tends to be more uncomfortable around dogs than the dogs are around horses, at least at first. That stems back to the inherent hunter/hunted relationship. There are things we can do to help our horses feel more empowered, more comfortable around dogs. First, for the horses we raise, dogs are part of their life from day one, and they see they are a part of the team. For our horses, dogs are a constant side kick to their human leader. This expectancy is continued throughout the horses training, continuing through to the first trail rides, always with dog a part of the picture.

Another recommendation to help the horse overcome his inherent fear of dogs, is to show the horse that the best way to deal with a chasing or barking dog is to turn towards the dog, to face him, even to step towards the dog. As much as I adore my dogs, when they give chase, they act like a big bully. And like most bullies, when they are stood up to, they coward down. I’ve been able to stop many a bothersome dogs encountered on the trail that are not “horse savvy” this way.

We need to understand, accept and learn to handle the major differences in the natures of these very unlike animals. Remember, this is not a natural partnership. But it can be a really good one. Take time, patience and positive leadership. Us two-leggeds have been making this work well for all for a very long time…