Sunday, April 26, 2009

The great helmet debate

When I taught riding at a kids camp, we had a sign in the barn promoting wearing helmets. It said, “Every ride, every time.” I confess I do not wear a helmet. I don’t know if that’s the wisest option, since no matter how gentle a horse is, he or she can spook; and no matter how good a rider I may be, I still will stop riding at some point during the day when I’m out there on the trail (please see post “Riding all the time”), stop focusing, and daze off. Thus, I still can (and do) fall off my horse.

When I first began enforcing “the helmet law” at camp, more than a few kids, and especially the counselors, were disappointed. And yet, I remember that first year, saving the cracked helmet that more than likely saved the life of a young lady who still ended up with a severe concussion from that horse accident. Hung that helmet in the saddle barn to remind the young staff and helpers that there was reason for this enforcement. Time and time again, I actually watched as the helmet impacted the ground. Each time, I shuddered to think what would have happened to that head protected beneath the helmet if I was not as insistent on them being used.

It’s important to note that every one of those accidents during the six years working at the camp happened while running the horses. Hmmmm… Young, inexperienced riders, on horses used to being told to “take off” and run like crazy up a hill or across a pasture. The campers had no control, and nor did the young staff. They were there for 2 months to have fun. For the most part, few were “horse people.” Hardly any would ever ride a horse except those few times during the summer.

But do I fool myself by thinking I have that much more control now? I ride for a living, putting on hundreds of miles of back country riding in each year, and countless days in the saddle. And still, I know I could fall off…

One of the biggest differences is how we ride. Here in the high country, in elevations of 10,000 to over 12,000 feet, and on what are mostly challenging mountain trails, we walk. Yes, there are times we have to run, but it’s not as often. And when we do, both rider and horse are intent and focused. Usually there is a reason to run, and we negotiate the terrain and our goals accordingly.

So if (and unfortunately, it happens) our guests do fall off a horses, it’s at a walk. You can pretty much see the rider just slide off… slow motion… losing balance, letting the saddle go. Those folks end up on their hip. Or more often, there are the folks who fall off when the horse spooks out from under them, and as riders, they don’t stick with the horse (yes, I’ve been guilty of this one). Those times we end up on our rears.

I am trying to justify my lack of helmet use, I know. But until I start Endurance Racing (which I would very much like to try), I don’t think I’ll sport more than my felt hat. I’ve heard so many sides of this debate, and both have good points… I suppose this is yet another choice we have to make based upon where we ride, how we ride, what kind of horse we ride. Not what kind of rider we are.