Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Training all the time

Every time we interact with our horse, an opportunity presents itself…

In the last post, I wrote about how the expression “every ride, every time” relates to the use of helmets. Today, I consider a most different focus for that same expression. I can’t recall where I saw it, but it made such sense to me. It was the reminder that every time we ride, every time we even interact with our horse, on the ground or on their back; in the arena, in the barn or on the trail; we should consider it a training session. Training for the horse, yes. But I try to remind myself that it is training for myself as well.

Like “riding all the time,” by training all the time we can consider even our time on the ground with and around our horses as training.

What wonderful opportunities present themselves to us every day that way. If I am picking a hoof, I can look at it as more than just getting the stones out, but taking the time to remind the horse to relax, give to and trust me. If I am out feeding, I can remind the horse to respect my personal space and practice my communication signals for the term “back off.” If I am out trail riding, I can look at a difficult water crossing as a great opportunity to help my horse become more comfortable, and work on my leadership skills.

The opportunities are everywhere. It all goes so far beyond an actual training session. Every bit of time together can be training for us both (or us all, for those us with lots of horses in our care). Nothing should be over looked. Even relaxed time, observation time, grooming time… there are lessons we both can learn in every interaction. If we take the time to think about what the horse is doing and why; what we are doing and why; what signals we are giving the horse; what is the horse trying to tell us?

Every time, every interaction, every opportunity... considered in training for the horse. I consider it in training for me. We are both in training. Every day. And every day, with an open and observant mind, we have the opportunity to be better.

Or we could just go on with our day, in the same old way…