Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Choosing pack stock

I’d like to start a series of installments on the steps involved in learning how and preparing to pack. We’ll bring up a new topic each week, alternating with other horse stories and ideas. For those new to horse packing, the ideas and information I’ll be sharing may help to open up some new skills, means and ways that may help in your future horse excursions, or hopefully in just working with your horse in general. For those of us who already pack, I hope this can serve as a review or refresher, or perhaps you’ll read about a way someone else does things. Remember that there is no one right way; we all have to find what works best for each of us and our horse(s). I imagine my way may not be considered by some as “best.” I can only share what has worked for us.

That in mind, the first step in horse packing is, of course, choosing your pack and trail riding stock. Any horse can learn to pack. Any breed, any size, any color. It’s based on personal preference. And please remember too, that although any horse can pack or ride in the back country, it’s not for every horse, just as it’s not for every rider. Consider who you are and who your horse is. Chances are, if you’re a team and want to give it a try, you’ll make it work great. It’s all about patience, working together, keeping it positive, and accepting the learning curve of you and your horse. If you’re in the market for selecting a new horse, here are a few things to keep in mind.

Considerations: I am of the school that believes that horses have as strong as personalities as we have, and as such, we’re not all going to get along. Thus I always stress personal preference. Know what works best for you. Understand your personality, and the personality of your horse. Know where you’re at in your riding, what you’re working on, and where you want to be. Choose your partner wisely. I’ve seen too many people not be able to spend time riding because they know they are putting themselves or their horse in a dangerous situation because they just don’t get along. All the relationship work in the world doesn’t fix every marriage. I’m one of those who believe there are a lot of fish in the sea. I don’t want to continue in a bad relationship. A horse that I don’t get along with may be fantastic for someone else. I used to work at a children’s camp. Believe me, not all horses had the patience for that job. Why keep a horse in a situation that he/she isn’t cut out for when I could trade or sell that horse to an individual that may provide for that horse more of what he/she needs?

A pack trip is not time to be butting heads with your partner when you’re out on the trail in the back country and both of you are uncertain and tired and hungry. But with the right horse, in the right relationship, there is no better time to fine tune your relationship together, and your trust and understanding of each other.

Temperament and disposition: This is the most important consideration for selecting stock appropriate for riding and packing in the back country. Key words: nice and mild-mannered. A horse that does not get along with you or other horses will cause a problem. Although it is often work, I’m out there to enjoy. I want my horses to as well. An ideal horse is open to new challenges, and smart enough to safely cross whatever obstacle lies before him. An ideal horse respects me, does not fight with me, and does not fight with other horses. Kickers and biters are a hazard in a pack string. Although any horse is capable of spooking, a horse that does not know how to handle a spook and safely return “in line” after a spook is probably the most dangerous trait of all. I’m not saying I want a dead-head horse. That’s boring. I spend a lot of time on the trail; I want a horse with personality. But one with a level head is key. And a nice one. We spend too long on the trail together to not get along together. I’m not big on fighting. I’m there to enjoy. It’s a lot more fun when my horse enjoys it too.

Health and soundness: Obviously, you’ll need a hearty horse in the high country. Any horse can adjust to long hours in the trail, challenging trails, water crossing, nights tied to a high line, and new sights and sounds around every bend in the trail. But it takes time. Either take the time it takes, or choose a different horse. Check his weight. It’s hard work out there; chances are he could lose weight on a several day excursion. Know is eating habits. Will he be OK grazing on the good, rich high mountain meadow grass? I met a couple of horses that had to have feed packed into our lush mountain because they were not used to grazing. The horses still got colic. Can your horse drink from a creek? Can his back handle the load? Can his hide handle the ropes and cinches? And most important, can his feet and legs handle the stress? It’s hard work out there, and dangerous terrain. I see horses ridden in arenas with this lovely sand footing that still need boots for fear of injury. This is probably not the horse you’ll want in the back country. Or… not the way to treat him or her. We don’t boot because the horse needs to learn where to put his feet. The only horse I ever saw “scratch” his lower legs was one that had never been in the mountains before, and never been without boots before. They are smart, careful and hearty animals if given the chance.

Breeds: Nothing could be more based solely on personal preference than breed. And nothing could be less important. Any breed can do it. What are your needs and what works best for you? I have a thing for Arabians. Yes, Arabians. For me, they work well. They don’t get tired. I spend more time on the trails than anyone I know personally. I find them “fun” to ride, full of personality, light on the ropes and trail, and they seem to thrive in spending so much time out there working and being with me. But that’s a stereotype, and I’m just as quick to prove myself wrong. For the past three years, I guided on a Quarter Horse who was just as fun and energetic. (Though he was far more likely to want to leave me to go back home…)

My two favorite pack horses are a little Arabian gelding so gentle and light on the rope you forget he’s behind you; and a big old Percheron cross who is slow and steady and sweet as can be. He can carry a big load, snake it through the tightest of trees, but he’s a big boy, and just gets tired more quickly than my other horses.

I can't stress this enough. There is no one right breed for packing and back country riding. Choose based on your personal preferences.

Size: I like small stock for packing. If you look at old photos, pack stock was bred to be small. Perhaps it is because more mules are being bred for riders now a days, and thus are being bred to be larger, there are less options for small pack stock out there. You can make a larger animal work, but tell you what, after packing and unpacking enough, lifting the tack and panniers up over my shoulders so many times, I’ll seek the smaller pack animal any day. As for riding stock, if you are like me and find yourself in and out of the saddle regularly to check pack stock or to help a guest rider, a smaller riding horse is a nice option as well. I’ve seen plenty of folk ride the mountains on big, tall horses, only to seek out rocks, stumps and gullies every time then needed to get back on their horse. I’ll wait for a guest to do that if need be, but I don’t think any of them want to be waiting on me while I lead my horse over to stand just so while I mount.

Having worked with riding and pack stock of all different size and shape, I can’t say a large size is of any advantage in the mountains, and may possible be added bulk on narrow trails and steep slopes. But bottom line, this is personal preference. And besides the practicality of the traditionally smaller packing stock, size of horse is a minor consideration.

Experience and training: Any horse can pack and ride in the back country. And chances are, each time you and your horse work together, or actually head out and pack together, you’ll both make great improvements. However, take the time to introduce the necessary skills and many of the probably obstacles and challenges that will present themselves to you and your horses before you hit the trail. You will always run into new challenges, but a horse with a solid foundation, and a rider with confidence enough for both horse and rider, can get through most anything. Train at home before being on the trail.

Work with what you have. Take time to observe your horses; see how they interact with each other. Don’t think you can change the nature of a horse. The big boss mare, for example, who likes to ride up on any member of her herd at any given moment out on pasture is probably not a good choice to leave at the end of your pack string. Rather, ride her or have her right behind you where you can remind her you are boss when you’re out there working together. If one may kick, keep that one to the back; if one bites, keep that one right behind you (if your riding horse is as patient as you); if one simply will not tolerate a rope under his tail, keep him to the back; and if one has a tendency to pull back a little, let a strong horse pull him along; don’t assume your arm won’t tire or your won’t be caught by surprise but such a move and get a finger caught and damaged in the process. Be willing to work as a team with your riding horse to stop and fix, correct or regroup as necessary.

One final reminder: Getting Along.
The more you and your horses get along, the better your ride will be. Get the groundwork done back home so time on the trail is safe and enjoyable. Set yourself up for success. I plan on enjoying myself out there, not fighting a battle as I ride a trail in some beautiful country I’m too upset and worked up to appreciate.

And be sure your horses get along with each other. There’s no room for squabbles on some of our trails. We have to work as a team. Likewise, it’s not all about riding. Consider breaks and time at camp. If your horses are content together, camp is a good place to be. If you’re busy breaking up fights, or chasing after one trying to sneak back home to find the one you left behind, camping is not much fun.

Think of the horse. What does he or she need to enjoy the trip too? Consider your horse. Consider his needs. It’s part of the package deal. It's part of the packing deal!