Saturday, February 6, 2010

The ethics of breeding




Without wasting time softening the facts and candy coating the bitter pill, I’m just going to go out and say it outright: The horse market is in bad shape. Sales are down. Registrations are down. Prices are plummeting. Think what you want about horse slaughter, it has had an impact on the horse market, along with the recessive economy and the decreasing and aging horse community.

There, I said it.

Now, what am I going to do about it?

I am a small time horse breeder. We buy, train and sell, and breed and raise our own. We love horses and have enjoyed the opportunity to “share” our talents and our stock.

Now we find ourselves having a hard time trying to sell good, solid and sound pleasure/trail horses for nearly give-away prices. We waste our time. Or rather, our time is wasted…

I’m picky. I don’t want our horses going to anything but a good home. I want them to be loved. Yes, I do. Otherwise, I’d just assume keep the horse in my care and wait to find a really good home, a really good relationship for that horse. They are like children. We care for them and work with them to teach them, and then send them on their way. We want the best for them. I imagine many horse trainers and traders feel the same.

Last years colts are sold, and I am thrilled with their new and future homes. Now we have three on the way this summer. Then what? Time to think this one through. Think it through now, before letting my mares run with the stallion again (because bred mares are easier to keep, and allowing the stud to run with the mares keeps him happier, too).

Lots to think about. I consider the horse market, the horse industry, and the management of my own herd. I don’t have easy answers. What I want and what I should do may not be the same thing here.

Really now, do I keep my stallion at stud just for the fun of it (and indeed he his a "fun" riding horse) because I don’t know if I should use him for breeding this season. Or next. How long will it take for the horse market to bounce back? Or will it?

I don’t see it happening right away. I don’t see it happening any time soon. Do I continue to add to the over abundance of horses out there, and possibly have one I raised and trained be one of those “unwanted?” Small time breeder that I am, I’d rather blame the big guys and wonder why the ‘ranch horse’ farms are still breeding 20, 50, 100 mares every year when I’m questioning my responsibility of breeding just a handful.

But you know, they say if you want a change, start with yourself. So as a small breeder, what do I do? Stop breeding?

Selfishly, I love it. I don’t do it for the money; I do it for my love of the horses. I once read, “A year without a foal is a very bad year…” I agree.

But what about my responsibility to the horses and the industry? Do I allow my stallion to breed, even just one? Or do I (gulp) have him gelded and make life easier?

I’ve never been into “easy.” I always love a challenge, which is why I purchased the stud in the first place. But I also consider responsibility. And I just don’t know.

Perhaps I can keep him out of trouble for a few years until the market picks up… if it picks up…

Oh, what to do???