Saturday, December 19, 2009

Beginner's mind for a horseman

How many times have you been at that point – in horsemanship or anything, for that matter – where you realize the more you learn, the more you don’t know… therefore the more you find you still need to learn? It is a snowball effect of sorts. On one hand, it is a frustrating place to be. Full of questions, self doubt, uncertainty. On the other hand, it is great, rewarding, exciting, because it reminds us of our progress and hope for betterment. We can see a difference, even if we don’t quite know what to do with it yet.

It is a paradox of learning, of life. How do you know how little you know until you start to really see? "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few," wrote Shunryu Suzuki. A reminder to remain a beginner, always, and keep an open mind. If I claim to be an expert, my mind will close. I remember this every time I look around and feel lost. It is a start, and a better place to be than if I looked around and told myself (or someone else) that I knew it all.

Of course this applies to every aspect of our lives. However consider the impact of this notion on horses, horsemanship, and horse training. Imagine if we were always learning. Why can’t we be? There are no easy answers. There is no one right way. The best way is what works for us, and for our horses. And even that should be reviewed regularly updated as our knowledge and experience grow.

Drat. I wish there was one person who knew it all. I would like to study from him or her. Or read his or her book and feel confident that I had all the right answers, all the right moves, all the rights ways and means figured out. Wouldn’t that be nice? Wouldn’t that be easy?

But no one person does know it all, though teachers can be found all over. We can learn something from everyone we meet, if we keep an open mind, even if our lesson is seeing what we do not want to do or be.

Everyone has at least a little bit of wisdom. Everyone. I think we are lucky when we find a teacher with a lot of wisdom. However, we need to remember that our teacher is not simply wiser. Only that he or she has more information relevant to our growth process then and there. Tomorrow may be different. Our needs may change. Our knowledge base may have grown, or we may find set backs. The same teacher tomorrow may not be able to provide us with the knowledge we need then. We must keep an open mind. We must not drink the Kool-Aid and assume one teacher has all the right answers. Keep an open mind. Always be open to learn, to grow, to expand, to be a better rider and horseman. Remember the Zen beginner’s mind…

I thought about this recently in view of The Old Way, versus The New Way, and many ways in between. Horsemen on all levels can have a way of certainty. Many will tell you their way is The Right Way. And those with less knowledge and experience will probably be the first to say this.

So, how do we look around and know what is right? One teacher told me, “The horse will tell you.” That is a perfect answer, however getting to that point is difficult when we don’t know how to get there. We make many mistakes. I suppose that is one way to learn. My most frequent way.

Consider next the question of tradition. The value of tradition, versus holding onto tradition when perhaps it is time to let go and move on. How do we know what is right? Simple observation balanced with a gut reaction may provide the answers.

Consider this tradition. The raising of ranch horses. Hundreds of them every year, all because of a good blood line, a good name, the same name. (And we wonder why the horse market is dropping? Here’s one more factor.) The mares are mostly untouched. Rounded up and driven into a squeeze shoot just to be de-wormed (yes, I know we’ve all had horses we would have liked to do that with). The colts are rounded up as yearlings, roped and branded – sometimes with many separate brands I suppose because the ranch has so many horses they need all these numbers and symbols to keep track. That’s about it for human touch. Then they are rounded up again as two-year-olds and “broken.” Ah, but a “new and improved” more kind and gentle way. It is rushed. There are many colts. We must be practical here and get the most results in the least amount of time. Invariably, the colt is petrified of the situation due to lack of previous positive human handling. Look at his huge wide eyes, quickened breath, sweating chest, and tight muscles. He or she will probably try to buck. “Let him buck,” we are told. It is the “respectful” thing to do. I wonder. Would the colt need to buck if he was not so scared? Would he be less scared if he (and his dam) had a little more gentle human handling before training started? Consider how much time must now be spent by the trainer just to get the colt calm, peaceful, accepting of the human handler. Let alone trained.

Now that we are learning, many are becoming more open to an even better way. Wouldn’t you be curious to see a study done on the difference between these ranch colts and the imprinted colts? Who is more likely to buck? Who is more willing to learn, eager to please, easy to train, and in general, a better partner?

Just one example. There are many. I look around, observe, question what I see. How else will I learn and grow?

Ah, but it is a tradition, they tell me. Therefore…therefore I am not supposed to question, but to look upon this way with reverence. Because it did work. And now? The old ways are not always the best ways. Learn from the past, I remind myself, and move toward the future.

The questions are never ending. I suppose that’s how it has to be. We always need to ask more questions, strive for more, seek improvement. Our lives are a balance of the foundation of knowledge and the desire for betterment of ourselves, our horses, our neighbors, our world.

I look at some of the old timers who keep an open mind. After all these years of doing something one way, they are still open to see and listen and learn. What an inspiration! I hope to always be willing and able to learn something from everyone I meet. And from every horse I work with. When I am old (no wise cracks here – I’m only 43…) I hope I will not be tired of learning and more content with keeping the ways I had learned. I hope to always strive towards a better way.
I consider myself old fashioned, in many respects. But there are some things worth changing. Slowly, I see myself progressing, but I still have so far to go. I hope I always will. Acceptance won’t get me closer. Questioning will.

With everything we do with our horses, we can look at it all anew and learn something. Not because it was done is it wrong, but because perhaps there is a even better way. For our horses’ sake, it is worth considering.

I sit back on my horse, look around at the awesome landscape before us, look down at his soft and wise eyes, and remind myself to strive for a beginners mind.