Saturday, October 24, 2009

High School Years: The Yearlings

My son is in high school. I think he’d tell you what he’s learning is a lot harder than what a yearling learns. He’s right, of course. But I’m sticking with this analogy because it shows how we’re taking the basic knowledge learned in elementary school, fine tuning it, and bringing it to a higher level. Sort of like high school was for us, though not near as difficult. Or as long. I give it three days for the yearling. Bet my son wishes high school could be so quick…

So, onto the yearlings, and their lessons.

In three days, we teach our yearlings the basis for communications and movement, teaching everything the colt will need to know to make his first ride a success. Everything except the rider.

In three days, we teach the horse to move his front end, move his back end, back up, move forward at a walk, trot and canter; and stop. We teach him to choose lightness by offering lightness first. We teach him to enjoy working with people by making it fun and interesting. We teach him to understand by being clear and consistent with our communications.

Using the same methods of teaching and training as discussed in the post entitled Elementary School, we ask our horse to move off of pressure in two ways: first, from our fingertips; second, from hand signals – teaching the horse to learn to listen to our body language, not just physical pressure.

Starting with the fingertips. For each, you’ll want to apply pressure very lightly at first, and slowly progress until you have a strong, even pressure. Hold the pressure (not so strong it need be painful) until the horse figures out the right move. Reward the right answer with INSTANT release of pressure, and then a gentle pat or rub. Each time, start soft and slowly progress. Horses are smart. It will only take a few times before you won’t need to progress. They’ll get it. Lightness works.

With this, I start by asking for a back up with gentle pressure on the nose where the halter or bosal would lie. Reward each step, each try. Then with my fingers upon the side of the colt's neck, I ask him move his front end, crossing over, pivoting around the back end. Next, with pressure behind where the back cinch would be on the horse’s flank, I ask him move his back end around, pivoting now around his front feet. Then, I ask for forward motion with light suggestion of the lead, staring with a walk. When that’s mastered, we’ll increase gate speed to a trot and then a canter. I use verbal commands, accompanied by increasing my own energy, and urging forward motion by continuing to point the lead in the direction I would like the colt to go, while increasing pressure, usually simply by waving my hands or a lead rope in the direction of the horse’s back end. Finally, I ask for a stop, quickly and suddenly, with a firm “Whoa” and a pop of the lead rope as cue, having the horse turn and face me. And then let him rest a moment. Makes “whoa” be a really good thing, something to look forward to.

Along these lines, this is good time and way to teach lateral flexion and then turning into the direction of the lead.

Moving onto the hand signals. Take a similar approach as with touch, but contact may never be necessary. Start with a mild hand signal. I use a soft hand with a pointed finger. This will signify a move in a certain direction if I point to part of his body or in a direction in front of him. I’ll start with a subtle but clear hand motion. If no response, my hands may raise and make a more dramatic show. I’ll increase pressure until at the highest form of pressure, I have to touch the horse. All along, he’s been looking for the right answer, so pushing him now will often come as a “Oh, so that’s what you were saying,” reaction from the colt.

With this, I would like the yearling to learn to back up when I stand in front of him and gently shake my hands or make a subtle pushing motion; to move his front end around his back end when I point to his neck and softly wag my hands, and his back end around his front end when I point to his hip; and to move forward when I point and wave ahead of the horse in the direction I’d like him to go.

I’ll introduce the concepts on the first day, only at a walk. The second day, it’s a reiteration, often with a little more resistance, and ask for a trot. The third day, chances are he really gets it, and we’ll progress to the canter for just a moment or two.

At the end of these three days, you can also introduce a saddle and allow the colt to feel comfortable with pressure from the girth and weight on his or her back. Let him smell it and explore it first. There’s no rush. If he’s afraid, lead him up to it. Don’t tie him down. Let him walk away if he’s that scared, and slowly bring him back, a little closer each time. In time, his curiosity will get the better of him, and he’ll have to touch it with his nose. Likewise, with raising and lowering the saddle onto his back, start with the blanket, and advance to the saddle, taking it on and off until he’s bored with each. We do not mount a yearling, and only put a few rides on a two year old. We are not in a rush to wear out our horses. We can wait until their bones develop, take our time training, and hope for an awesome horse working with us well into their twenties.

It is not uncommon that a yearling may show more resistance than a two year old, because for a yearling this is all new. Doing something that is asked of him, in itself, is the hardest lesson. Don’t fight it. Make it fun. Walk away if you lose patience. All the work I do with yearlings makes working with a two year old a breeze. They remember everything (so make it a positive experience) and are that much lighter, softer and easier for it, even after – or because of - a year off. So… next, onto the two year olds!