Sunday, April 12, 2009

Tack and Traditions

There’s a renewed or growing interest in the Californios tradition, the Vaquero style of horsemanship. I respect and admire this tradition. However I am neither from a family of Californios nor Vaqueros. I do not feel worthy of taking on someone else’s tradition as my own. Many of these things are passed on from generation to generation. My family has been white collar for generations. I am the first to ride. I have no traditions passed on to me with regards to horsemanship.

At times, I wish I did. But other times, this frees me up. I can do and choose to study and learn with a completely open mind. The blank slate, if you will. I can observe, study and watch others without prejudice. And take from each what works for me, what I believe is right, what I like best.

Intrigued with the Californios style, I am currently taking on one of their traditions to fit into my world. The Hackamore. The reasons for me are different than for the modern Californios who start their horse on snaffle, proceed to the hackamore, then progress to the two-rein, and ultimately refine to the spade bit. I understand that the older Californios started in the hackamore, and slowly moved into a bit. One theory on why is because the old Californios started their horses later than many trainers do today; they waited for a horse to mature, and the hackamore would cause less irritation with a horse coming in with his adult teeth. In any case, the hackamore is based not on physical force and direct pressure like even a gentle snaffle can be, but more on suggestion and cooperation by the horse with clear communication on the part of the rider. As one trainer says, you’re fooling the horse with the hackamore. They have to trust you, and you have to make them believe!

I prefer to start my colts in a halter, and will do our first few rides in a halter before progressing to snaffle. And although I am impressed with refinement, I don’t like that spade bit. I respect the beautiful subtle communication that a true Vaquero or Californio rider can display, but at this point, I don’t show; I ride in the mountains, and things come up, things happen, the horse may spook, I may spook. I would prefer to work on perfecting my communication skills without a bit that could potentially be severe in the wrong hands or in the wrong situation. I see no reason why refinement must be found in a bit. I would like to get there some day without. Again, just a personal preference based on the traditions I am creating for myself, which are changing all the time as I learn and grow in my horsemanship.

However, the hackamore truly intrigues me for several reasons. One of which is the headset it helps the horse find. The horse is more likely to break at the poll, or rather, bend his head more into a vertical position starting from the very top of his head. My little Arab stallion walks naturally without collection, holding his long neck straight out in front. Funny looking at times, probably, like a teen who walks with slumped shoulders. But we’re working on it, and one of the gentlest ways I believe he may find this collection in his head set on his own, is by working in the hackamore.

Anyway, we’re starting… I will share progress and let you know how we are doing. The fresh foot of snow that fell today may slow progress, but we have plenty of time. Plenty of time to refine. I read that was another thing the Vaqueros had – time for their horse. I’d like to take that tradition for my own as well.