Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Wild Places

I was recently involved in an ongoing and open discussion with some horse people and outdoors folks about the reduction of horse traffic on back country trails. What seemed like a strange and unfortunate phenomenon around our neck of the woods apparently is an ongoing concern throughout our country. The one exception noted was on those trails closer to and more easily accessible by major urban centers. That’s certainly not us.

Anyway, the back country, and in particular, riding in the back country, is my passion and my life. It’s been my business for the past dozen years. We’re not getting rich doing this, but the richness of our life is incomparable. Sharing this knowledge, and therefore starting this blog, is my way of at least trying to preserve the experience, both simple and extraordinary, of riding the back country, be it trail riding or packing and camping.

My love of the wilds is as strong as my love for my horses. Both of which come a very close second to my love of my husband and son. Be warned, you’ll have to keep me tethered some times. I can ramble on about the wilds… I have another blog I let loose on about that stuff, so I’ll try to keep this focused more on the horse and rider.

I don’t want to lose the wild places. There is something out there that effects the inside of a person like nothing else can. We need the wilds, and we need to out there, even if just every once in while, to find that place within us that we can not find in the rush-rush of towns and traffic and TV and telephones.

I look forward to sharing what I’ve been so lucky to have learned, and am still learning, with you, in hopes that you, too, may get out there and enjoy, or share with me your experiences and knowledge, so that we don’t forget our wild places, inside and outside.