Thursday, March 19, 2009

This time of year

This is the time of year the snow begins melting off around the ranch, only to be replaced by mud. The trails are still packed with snow and ice, but I am itching to ride, I feel the season starting and anticipation swells inside me. Limited in what I can realistically and safely do with the horses, I look around the ranch and find plenty of “horse things” to fulfill me; things I finally can do, now that I can stand still outside longer than a few minutes without taking on a deep chill, and even slip off my gloves and down jacket for a while…

We groom the horses, help them rid themselves of their shaggy winter coat. Trim their feet, working on our own skills here as we are going into this coming season planning to allow them to remain barefoot for the first time in their working season. Take inventory of gear. Clean, oil, and repair tack. I always find things here that “need” fixing. I love working with saddles and bridles – I’m not a good leather worker, but I enjoy it. So everything gets taken apart and put back together, in my justification of making it work better for this coming season. Evenings I tie rope halters, splice rope for more lead ropes (“We need more?” my husband asks.), and read books on equine theory, philosophy, care, health, training.

I justify this by saying I am getting done now all the tasks we do not have time for as our main summer season is underway, and I suppose that is true. But more true is that I just enjoy these things. Anything horse related. It’s my way of mentally preparing for the season, as the excitement builds.

This is also the time of year we plan our upcoming schedule, plan our season of rides and horse trips into the Wilderness. There are not many big trips scheduled, not enough, our main business is centered around our guest ranch business and day rides now. Fewer people come up here for the long trips, the back country trips. The majority of folks hauling trailers up this way don’t have horses inside; they have ATV’s now a days.

But we’ll still be out there. We find additional jobs that require our horse power and back country skills, and find an excuse to be out there. At the very least, my family knows, we’ll have to go just because. Because for me, there is nothing as peaceful as waking up in the high country at first light and walking over to the horses on the high line, having them nicker as they see me approach and let one off at a time to head out to pasture to graze. Then sipping my hot steaming cup of coffee as I sit on the hillside with sun just coming over the mountain to warm me, watching my horses happiliy in the tall mountain grass. The high country is their back yard, too, and I believe they love the trips as well as I do.

Perhaps you too are considering, planning or preparing for a horse pack trip this summer. If it’s just a dream, you can make it a reality. Start with little steps, but make some steps, make it happen. Your horses will thank you, and you will thank yourself.

To begin with, you can do it yourself. You can plan, prepare, learn and take a trip yourself. Believe me, if I can do it, you can too. I just learned a few basics (probably not nearly enough) and headed out my first time. It was rather messy, I’m the first to admit, but we did it. And we learned, and the next trip was that much prettier.

If you’d prefer, hire a guide or outfitter. We do this because we love the land, our horses, and working with people. Most of us really care about our guests and making the trip as fun, comfortable and memorable for them as we possibly can.

I’ll share some thoughts and idea about both options in up-coming posts, and hopefully you’ll give it a try. Life is short, but oh-so wonderful. I can’t imagine missing out on taking a back country pack trip. It is one of the most peaceful, fulfilling, gratifying, and eye opening experiences I have done, and am lucky enough to share with others. You don’t have to miss out, and you don’t have to wait… You just have take a few chances…